so besede, katerih izgovorjava je praktično enaka, se pa drugače zapišejo in imajo povsem različen pomen.
Po vsej verjetnosti ste že opazili, koliko angleških besed pravzaprav zveni ZELO zelo podobno. Enakozvočnice so v angleščini zares pogoste! Lingvisti pravijo, da jih je okrog 150, nekateri jih navajajo celo preko 400. Razlika v številki se pojavlja predvsem zaradi razlik v izgovorjavi.
Zbrali smo nekaj tistih najbolj pogostih. 😉
1. ate, eight
- I ate an entire pizza and now I’m really full and tired.
- Charles will wake up at eight o’clock tomorrow morning.
2. bare, bear
- Tom likes to walk around his house in bare feet.
- When you go camping, you should be careful not to leave any food in your tent. It could attract a bear.
3. buy, bye
- Do you think you could buy me lunch and I’ll pay you back tomorrow?
- I’ve got to go now, so bye! See you on Sunday!
4. cell, sell
- A cell is the smallest unit of life.
- We would like to sell our car, but we don’t think we’d get very much money for it.
5. dew, due
- When I went outside early in the morning, the dew on the grass made my shoes wet.
- This assignment is due in October.
6. eye, I
- My left eye hurts when I stare at the screen for too long. I need to get it checked.
I really hope you know what this word means.
7. fairy, ferry
- There is a fairy named Tinkerbell in the story “Peter Pan.”
- The ferry in Costa Rica is really hot and incredibly badly organized. Too bad.
8. flour, flower
- Tony wanted to make a cake, but he didn’t have any flour, so he couldn’t.
- I swear I found the most beautiful flower!
9. hear, here
- Can you set the boxes down over here please? Yes, right here next to the door.
10. hour, our
- It takes about an hour to get from Ljubljana to Koper.
- We should study for our exams.
11. know, no
- You don’t know French, stop fooling yourself.
- There is no good reason to go on with this. Let’s leave it be.
12. knight, night
- The knight swore an oath of allegiance to the king
- I prefer to work at night, since it’s quieter and not as hot
13. mail, male
- I haven’t gotten the mail yet today, but I was expecting a letter from grandma.
- People always ask if our cat is pregnant. I tell them he can’t be, since he’s a male. He’s just fat.
14. marry, merry
- My grandpa told me to be sure to marry a good woman.
- “Be always as merry as ever you can, for no-one delights in a sorrowful man.”
15. pair, pear
- I can’t find my favourite pair of shoes! It’s driving me mad.
- I wanted to buy a pear for my fruit salad, but they only had winter pears. I don’t like those…
17. sight, site, cite
- Blind people can’t see. They have no sight.
- There’s an awesome site next to my grandmothers house.
- Don’t forget to cite your sources.
18. son, sun
- Grandma and grandpa only had one son and three daughters!
- Don’t look directly at the sun, or you’ll damage your eyes. You may even lose your eyesight!
19. their, there, they’re
- We should study for our English exam, and they should study for their German exam.
- Who is that over there? Is that Jane?
- The children all passed their exams, so they’re very happy!
20. wait, weight
- It was snowing a lot, so the bus came late. I had to wait in the cold for 20 minutes.
- Every year around Christmas, many people gain a lot of weight, because they eat lots of food but don’t exercise.
21. wear, where
- Why don’t u ever wear a tie? It looks so nice on you!
- Where should we meet for dinner? Personally, I’d like to meet at the new Chinese restaurant in town.
22. meat, meet
- I don’t eat meat. Mostly for ethical and environmental reasons.
- I’m excited to travel to England so I can meet some new people!